Thursday, June 30, 2011

Perception IS Reality

As early in my life as I can remember, these phrases have resounded in my brain; “You did not communicate that.” OR “I did not get that point out of what you said.” OR “That’s not what you communicated.” OR “I didn’t hear that.” Sound familiar?
I do not proclaim to be a “Communication Expert” but I do proclaim to be passionate about all things Communication! Communication is expressed many different ways – verbal, written, gestures, body language and even by the tone of our voice.  Let me share with you about my journey of becoming the communicator I am today.
Eight years ago I married my best friend, Jarrad.  During the “honeymoon phase” of our relationship and marriage, the inevitable was ignored - our dramatic differences!  I’m a free spirit with an artistic and creative mind and Jarrad is a chemical engineer with a data driven mind!  To put it mildly, Jarrad is left brained and I am right brained, so our wires have gotten crossed a time or two – well, maybe a little more than that!
My relationship with Jarrad has challenged my communication style and skills beyond comprehension. However, I am grateful for the struggles we have been through and I am a better communicator because of it!  As Jarrad has taught me, perception is reality.

1 comment:

  1. If you say something in the wrong way, even if you don't mean it like that the way that is perceived becomes the reality of what you said to that person. Lots of misunderstandings start by the perceptions of others of the words we say.

    ReplyDelete